experimental xserver q

Darrell Michaud dmichaud at amergin.org
Fri Aug 29 11:19:10 EDT 2008

Is there something that you're looking for that hasn't been packaged yet
in a mainstream distribution? It saves a lot of time if you can just
upgrade your distribution's binary packages instead of custom compiling.
If you must compile a custom version, use your distribution's source
packages and package manager to do the build, merging in your own patches
as needed. Use the xorg raw sources only if you must- this will be the
most painful route. I've compiled custom X.org binaries many times using
redhat/fedora's RPM source packages. There's many dependencies and the
compile takes quite a while.

I've got the fglrx drivers and well as the radeon drivers working in
ubuntu 8 and fedora 9 recently, for accelerated video and games. If
there's something specific you're asking about the driver setup I might
know.

-D