Anybody (else) get ping'ed by Comcast about Port 25 emailing?

Bayard Coolidge n1ho at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 2 14:35:48 EST 2008

Many thanks to everyone who's replied so far!

Yes, I was aware that there is a very serious spam issue both
within Comcast and overall on the Internet. I'd been using the Port 25
configuration since I started with Comcast over 5 years ago (after I
got married and moved down here to sunny South Florida), but I hadn't
realized that Port 25 usage would be suspicious-looking to them. I now
understand more precisely why, however, and the migration to Port 587 was
relatively painless/trivial. (I haven't tried running the Microsoft ASP
to detect bots on my system yet, as it's unclear how it will work with
openSUSE 11.0 ;-). I will, however, try it on my wife's Windows XP laptop,
just in case - I do a full-blown Norton anti-virus run on it every week
or so (after checking for and installing vendor updates to the other XP
components and programs) anyway. I was just kind of surprised by the
e-mail from Comcast as such.

And while I'm not the biggest fan of Comcast - we've had other issues
with them in the past, primarily on the TV stuff - I do certainly empathize
with the infrastructure burden that they and everyone else suffers at the
hands of spammers; we have plenty of hungry alligators in the Everglades,
only a few minutes from here, but I'm not sure I want to poison them by
feeding the spammers to them... Well, there's always the Atlantic Ocean...

Thanks,

Bayard