Anybody (else) get ping'ed by Comcast about Port 25 emailing?

Dan Miller rambi.dev at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 23:34:13 EST 2008

I've called Comcast (when I had them) before on this very issue. Ask for
the security department, and then start asking for evidence. Since their
email states (and they state on the phone) that they closed the port
because it looked like you were spamming and have a virus.

I would always ask for the date and time of when the emails were sent
that made it look like I had a virus. They always stated that they
didn't have any. I would then lay into them stating that you are closing
my port (tied to the account and modem) with no evidence that I have a
virus. They would then state that the port was closed because of the emails.

This would go on a few times until I would state "So you accusing me of
spamming, but have no evidence of such." Comcast would reply no, so I
would ask for them to either A) produce evidence that I have a virus or
B) open up port 25.

Usually at this point, they would concede and in a few minutes they will
come back on the line with port 25 being reopened. After a few minutes,
the modem will update its file, and everything will be kosher again..

I would never back down, and would always get port 25 reopened.

Every time I received these emails, all I had running was Linux with a
customized iptables script, so chances of a virus are virtually nil.

Good luck.

Dan