buying a laptop either bare or with Ubuntu

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Dec 2 14:48:01 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 08:35 -0500, Lloyd Kvam wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 17:02 -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > Don't suppose you would be willing to see how a fedora 10 live cd
> > behaves before you do?...
>
> There was no opportunity to try Fedora 10.  I suppose there is a pretty
> good chance that Fedora 10 would be able to correctly deduce the proper
> settings.  As a developer, I like Fedora and the integration of new
> packages into a surprisingly reliable distribution.
>
> However, the laptop is my daughter's and she is enthusiastic about being
> better able to manage herself with Ubuntu.  She's been running Fedora,
> and has been frustrated at the need to call on me for help with
> configuration issues.  Even if Fedora 10 worked, she wanted to go with
> Ubuntu.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean it like "dude, you should use
Fedora", I meant "would you be willing to see if this bug can be
reproduced with Fedora, and if so, I'll make the upstream X release
maintainer, Adam Jackson, who works here at Red Hat in the same building
as me, aware of the issue, and he can probably get it fixed pretty
quickly". Fixes for which Ubuntu could then inherit as well.

--jarod