Nokia N810

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 22:41:42 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 11:35 PM, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
> The Access PalmOS emulator just works, at least for all the stock Palm apps.

  Hmmm.  Do you know if a PalmOS application (like Pimlico DateBk) can
"wake up" the N810 (so it can play an alarm)?  It would be *really*
cool if I could keep DateBk going forward.  (DakeBk is the best
handheld calendar I've ever seen.)  Another neat benefit would be I
could still do calendar sync with Outlook (ptooie) at work.

> ... WPA2 ... they just closed the long-standing bug ...

  Is there a "single great website" for getting that kind of insider
dirt, or is it the usual scattering of randomness and luck?

> ... Maemo, and there's lots of packages for it, but few are great ...

  How's about web browsing?

> I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it ...

  I need contacts, calendar, and notes in a small form factor.  A hard
QWERTY keyboard is a major plus.  I'd really like decent web over
802.11 as well.  Beyond that, it's all gravy to me.  :)

> If you only want the basic Clié functions it'll probably do that, but
> a replacement Clié will too.

  The entire Clie product line was discontinued like five years ago.
Units are getting hard to find in good condition.  I'm wondering if
shelf life is coming into play.  (Batteries, capacitor plague, etc.)

  I could get a newer Treo/Centro, but it's still basically the same
ancient software.  I'm getting really sick of putting money into such
a dead-end and limited platform.  Web browsing and SSH on my Clie was
a rather painful and unstable experience.  The lack of OS-enforced
protections meant frequent reboots.  Lack of multitasking also sucks.
Etc.

  So even if I get something that's not much more than a PalmOS, that
will still be a big improvement.  :)

  Thanks for the detailed write-up, I really appreciate it!

-- Ben