Nokia N810

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Wed Dec 3 02:25:21 EST 2008

On 2008-12-02 10:41 PM, Ben Scott wrote:
>    Hmmm.  Do you know if a PalmOS application (like Pimlico DateBk) can
> "wake up" the N810 (so it can play an alarm)?

not sure.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/
http://bugs.maemo.org/

>    How's about web browsing?

Pretty good.  MicroB is gecko wrapped with a Maemo app.  A few
extensions like adblock are available.  Flash is available, YouTube
works.  Speeds are good, resolution is impressive.

Fennec is the new Mozilla project to do MobileSafari-like-things on
their platform.  They're developing on n810.  It's enormous in size,
taking at least a quarter of the already insufficient (128MB) primary
storage.  That's not a problem for the developers necessarily, just a
bit cramped for users.  Very alpha yet.

>    I need contacts, calendar, and notes in a small form factor.  A hard
> QWERTY keyboard is a major plus.  I'd really like decent web over
> 802.11 as well.  Beyond that, it's all gravy to me.  :)

Yeah, you want a fixed Treo with a decent web browser and the
ever-elusive 802.11 SD card. ;)  Those things it can probably do pretty
well, assuming you'll be using the Palm emulator.  Random asides: Nokia
is talking Maemo for its actual smartphones now and I just downloaded a
linux distro for my Treo 650 last week (haven't done it yet).

It would have been nice if Nokia had aggressively courted the stranded
PalmOS developers.  Six months after the iron had become red-hot, Apple
announced their SDK and distribution system and pointed them at a big
pile of documentation.

-Bill

Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/