Handheld device keyboards (was: Nokia N810)

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Thu Dec 4 00:42:57 EST 2008

Ben Scott wrote:
>   Aside: I got to try the BlackBerry Storm for a minute.

The keyboard was one of the deciding factors in my choice to go with the
Blackberry 8130 Curve from T-mobile.

It has a raised, backlit, chicklet style keyboard and unlike anything
else I've seen on the market today, it has haptic feedback in the form
of a click you can feel, as well as a tit on the "5" key, so you can
find the number pad by touch.  The keys are almost square, but still
slightly vertical with space between them.  You can feel them easily
enough and the click helps let you know if you hit the wrong one.

There is Linux software to backup & restore, but my greatest finds were
that it can sync over the air to your Gmail account's calendar.  Google
also has a pretty decent set of their more widely used services you can
download.

One of my favorite Linux compatibility parts is that it uses a standard
USB connection and acts as just another USB thumb drive.  This makes
transferring images, videos, and ring tones a breeze. (It uses MP3
format for the ringtones... natively.

I love my crackberry.

Brian