Handheld device keyboards (was: Nokia N810)

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Dec 4 08:35:44 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 12:42 AM, Brian Chabot <brian at datasquire.net> wrote:

> Ben Scott wrote:
> >   Aside: I got to try the BlackBerry Storm for a minute.
>
> The keyboard was one of the deciding factors in my choice to go with the
> Blackberry 8130 Curve from T-mobile.
>
> It has a raised, backlit, chicklet style keyboard and unlike anything
> else I've seen on the market today, it has haptic feedback in the form
> of a click you can feel, as well as a tit on the "5" key, so you can
> find the number pad by touch.  The keys are almost square, but still
> slightly vertical with space between them.  You can feel them easily
> enough and the click helps let you know if you hit the wrong one.
>
> There is Linux software to backup & restore, but my greatest finds were
> that it can sync over the air to your Gmail account's calendar.  Google
> also has a pretty decent set of their more widely used services you can
> download.

I have an 8820.  The Google Apps are very good.  The Yahoo app is good also.
I have Exchange at work to do all my syncing so I haven't used the Google
sync on the phone.  I use it on the desktop and it works well.

> One of my favorite Linux compatibility parts is that it uses a standard
> USB connection and acts as just another USB thumb drive.  This makes
> transferring images, videos, and ring tones a breeze. (It uses MP3
> format for the ringtones... natively.

And any USB cable will charge it.  A bit slower then the wall plug (which is
also USB) but it works.

I use Mobipocket on it for eBooks.  Transfer to the SD card via the USB & it
just works.  Like it should.

> I love my crackberry.

There's a reason they dominate the market.  I don't think anyone does email
as well though the iPhone comes close enough.