Keeping track of all this IT crap

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 08:28:28 EST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 10:48 PM, Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote:
> Errr, Emacs? ;)
Several people wrote:
> ... wiki ...

  What I'm doing now is basically the huge collection of text files.
My needs are starting to exceed what those can provide.  A lot of it
has to do with managing the relationships.  I've got computers, users,
switches, ports, wall jacks, rooms, buildings, telephone extensions,
mobile phones, mobile phone SIMs, printers, printer supplies, and so
on.  Most of these interrelate in several ways, and the overhead of
that is becoming significant.  Example: Somebody moves to a new
office.  Now their computer and extension number are on different
jacks, which cascades to a different switch port and a different PBX
port.  I either spend too much time propagating changes, or too much
time chasing pointers when looking information up.

Several people wrote:
> ... IRM ...

  I looked at IRM once several years ago.  After the responses here, I
checked out the web site.  It looks like it's come a long way.  I will
have to take a closer look.  Thanks!

On Jan 31, 2008 10:48 PM, Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote:
> There's RT ...

  RT doesn't do what I asked for at all, does it?  :-)

> Check freshmeat, google.

  Aware of those sites.  Too many hits.  Looking for informed opinions.

> You might want to post this type of question to sage-members...

  I'm not a SAGE member.

-- Ben