Repetitive strain injury (was: ThinkPad Pointers)

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 16:21:22 EST 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 3:03 PM, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
>> I am *not* a good typist; my wrists stay down all the time. This
>> leads to alot of straying pointer issuse
>
> And potentially carpal tunnel syndrome.  "Wrists up!," as my old
> piano teacher would say.

  Actually, no.

  Carpal tunnel syndrome has not been linked to keyboard usage,
improper or otherwise.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/carpal_tunnel/detail_carpal_tunnel.htm

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=88&sectionId=9

  You likely mean RSI (repetitive strain injury), also called CTD
(cumulative trauma disorder) or RMD (repetitive motion disorder).
That issue is a lot bigger and a lot muddier.  But current wisdom is,
you want your wrists to be flat and supported, not raised *or*
lowered.  Simply enough, avoid anything that puts a strain on your
body repeatedly (whodathunkit?).  Holding your hands in the air above
the keyboard is a strain.

  For that matter, current wisdom is that doing just about anything
repetatively and/or for long periods of time is bad for you.  Fancy
chairs won't help; the real problem is that holding any one position
for hours at a time is bad for our bodies.  Take frequent breaks.
Move your arms and wrists.  Get up and walk around.  Don't fall into
harmful patterns.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/repetitive_motion/repetitive_motion.htm

http://dohs.ors.od.nih.gov/ergo_computers.htm

http://www.google.com/search?q=repetitive+strain+injury