OLPC Crisis: Customer Data Lost

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 18:19:14 EST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 2:02 PM, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
> Yes, payment is made upon order.  If this is true, it might turn out
> to be extra work for OLPC, but only people who have lost their credit
> card statements from their order are likely to have any problems.
> OLPC won't allow itself to be seen as fraudsters, and contract law is
> still well intact, and I don't think they want to be continually in
> small claims court.

I believed that it was illegal to charge credit cards unless you have
actually shipped the product to the customer.  At least, in 2003 when
I first built ZeroToys.com for a customer, that was the merchant
account's policy.  We were not allowed to charge the customer's credit
card until shipment.  Doing so would otherwise be against the law...

> One further question to consider - did none of the 1st day order'ers
> receive the December 24th(ish) mail about not having their laptops
> for Christmas?  If they did get the mail, then OLPC had their data
> just a month ago.
>
> My prediction: everybody will get their laptops.

I am sure you are right :-)  Worst case, a refund!
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."