Koolu as MythTV frontend suggestions

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Jan 29 23:05:00 EST 2008

On Jan 29, 2008, at 9:50 PM, Ben Scott wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2008 8:50 PM, Ted Roche <tedroche at tedroche.com> wrote:
>> Got my Koolu ... MythTV front end ...
>
>  As I recall, the opinion of some MythTV experts was that the Koolu
> was somewhat underpowered to be doing real-time decoding of compressed
> video.  The Koolu is optimized for lower power, not performance.
> While I'm sure, with sufficient hacking, it could be made to work, the
> extent of that hacking may be well beyond the point of diminishing
> returns.  (Think "rewrite MythTV, X, and the kernel".)

Its definitely underpowered for HDTV, and running the ragged edge for
SDTV.

>> I suspect GNOME is overkill  ...
>
>  Absolutely.
>
>  If literally *all* you're doing is running a MythTV front end, it
> should be possible to do just that: Run mythfrontend as the only X
> client, eliminating even the window manager.

My own MythTV frontend[*] runs ratpoison, so I do still have a window
manager should I want to open an xterm, browse the web, etc., but I
believe its memory footprint is something like 400k and it doesn't do
*anything* but manage windows.

[*] core duo 1.66ghz mac mini, tiny, runs pretty much silent, and
handles hdtv playback beautifully

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com