Koolu as MythTV frontend suggestions

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Wed Jan 30 09:14:44 EST 2008

Jarod Wilson wrote:

> Its definitely underpowered for HDTV, and running the ragged edge for
> SDTV.

Yeah, if I was a big sports fan or a movie fanatic, I'd probably want
the 60" high-def and the 7.1 sounds. But, really, how much better does
Andy Rooney look in high-def?

> My own MythTV frontend[*] runs ratpoison, so I do still have a window
> manager should I want to open an xterm, browse the web, etc., but I
> believe its memory footprint is something like 400k and it doesn't do
> *anything* but manage windows.
>
> [*] core duo 1.66ghz mac mini, tiny, runs pretty much silent, and
> handles hdtv playback beautifully

At only a few hundred more than the Koolu, that's a pretty reasonable
upgrade for a lot of improvement. Well, if the Koolu gets to be too
annoying (and it's really as much a tinkering project as an appliance)
I'll definitely look at the mac minis.