Koolu as MythTV frontend suggestions

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 08:36:06 EST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 8:12 AM, Ted Roche <tedroche at tedroche.com> wrote:
> top is showing mythfrontend.re at ~95% CPU pretty consistently. M shows
> 160m VIRT, 70m RES and 33m SHR - that's virtual, resident and shared,
> yes?

  Yes.  Resident set size is usually the most important stats.  It
sounds like it's not hurting for memory.  And the high CPU usage
definitely implies Myth FE is CPU bound on that box.

  You may want to investigate something like Gentoo, where everything
is compiled with optimization flags for your specific hardware, and
all other code disabled.  From what I've read, that often yields
around a 10% general performance gain.  Typically that's of dubious
ROI, but it sounds like you're right on the edge, so it may be worth
it.

> ... a working set of modelines ...

  Modelines?  Wow.  People still use those things?  :-)

> OTOH, it could provide some backend services (DNS, NTP, DHCP)
> on it's off-hours, maybe even an inhouse LAMP server.

  On the third hand, if you're already having issues with insufficient
computrons, adding more load might be a bad idea.

> Need to balance the utility with the complexity and cost...

  I suspect that's the gripping hand.  :)

-- Ben