Koolu as MythTV frontend suggestions

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Jan 31 16:42:33 EST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008, at 08:12, Ted Roche wrote:

> top is showing mythfrontend.re at ~95% CPU pretty consistently

That sounds like CPU-based decoding.  The koolu is an AMD Geode,
which has a hardware MPEG-2 decoder, IIRC.

To be successful, you'll have to:
   make sure the shows are encoded in a flavor of MPEG-2 that Geode
understands ("the best thing about standards are there are so many
sub-parts to optionally implement", to bludgeon a phrase)
   make sure mythbackend is handing mythfrontend the file unmolested
(I assume this is default, Jarod can probably confirm)
   make sure your X/DRI/mplayer stack supports and is configured to
pass the data through to the MPEG-2 hardware decoder

And then you should see, I'm guessing, 20% CPU or so. If I were Koolu
I'd have this all pre-configured ... if it's well known that you can
apt-get install mythtv to get a working SD frontend, it ought to
double their sales!  Maybe *they'd* want to figure this out for you.

Me, I'm off to send a bugreport to the kernel list about my new
MythTV box which can't seem to use any xATA DVD drives. :(

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/