RedHat Clustering

Kenny Lussier klussier at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 17:53:04 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I have been tasked with some clustering work, and I have run into a few
snags. Is anyone familiar with the RHEL 5 clustering suite? The situation
that I have is that I have a system that needs to be set up as a failover
cluster. There are two services running (http and ftp) that are essential
services, so if either of them die, the system needs to fail over to the
other system. The snag is that I have a third service (rinetd) that isn't
important, and I just want to have it re-started if it dies. I can set it up
so that rinetd is re-started, but then if the box fails over, rinetd isn't
started on the other system. If I tie rinetd to the the IP address resource
or to one of the essential resources, then the whole system fails over if
rinetd dies (when the cluster manager detects a failure in rinetd, it
re-starts the service, but fails over the box anyway).

Has anyone dealt with anything similar to this?

TIA,
Kenny