Redhat 5 Cluster suite

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at verizon.net
Sat Jul 5 14:23:04 EDT 2008

Kenny Lussier wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry if this is a re-post, but I sent it yesterday, and I haven't
> seen it come through yet....
>
> I have been tasked with some clustering work, and I have run into a
> few snags. Is anyone familiar with the RHEL 5 clustering suite? The
> situation that I have is that I have a system that needs to be set up
> as a failover cluster. There are two services running (http and ftp)
> that are essential services, so if either of them die, the system
> needs to fail over to the other system. The snag is that I have a
> third service (rinetd) that isn't important, and I just want to have
> it re-started if it dies. I can set it up so that rinetd is
> re-started, but then if the box fails over, rinetd isn't started on
> the other system. If I tie rinetd to the the IP address resource or to
> one of the essential resources, then the whole system fails over if
> rinetd dies (when the cluster manager detects a failure in rinetd, it
> re-starts the service, but fails over the box anyway).
>
> Has anyone dealt with anything similar to this?
>
> TIA,
> Kenny

Yes, it was a repost.  Did you read this?

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/csgfs/browse/4.6/Cluster_Suite_Overview/s1-service-management-overview-CSO.html

It sounds like you want high availability.  There is a description of
the fail over service in the above link.  I am sorry I have no
experience in this.  I was recently looking into clusters for massively
parallel computation.

Regards,
Bruce