Redhat 5 Cluster suite

Kenny Lussier klussier at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 16:53:14 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Bruce Labitt <bruce.labitt at verizon.net>
wrote:

> Kenny Lussier wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Sorry if this is a re-post, but I sent it yesterday, and I haven't seen it
>> come through yet....
>>
>> I have been tasked with some clustering work, and I have run into a few
>> snags. Is anyone familiar with the RHEL 5 clustering suite? The situation
>> that I have is that I have a system that needs to be set up as a failover
>> cluster. There are two services running (http and ftp) that are essential
>> services, so if either of them die, the system needs to fail over to the
>> other system. The snag is that I have a third service (rinetd) that isn't
>> important, and I just want to have it re-started if it dies. I can set it up
>> so that rinetd is re-started, but then if the box fails over, rinetd isn't
>> started on the other system. If I tie rinetd to the the IP address resource
>> or to one of the essential resources, then the whole system fails over if
>> rinetd dies (when the cluster manager detects a failure in rinetd, it
>> re-starts the service, but fails over the box anyway).
>> Has anyone dealt with anything similar to this?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Kenny
>>

> Yes, it was a repost.  Did you read this?
>

> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/csgfs/browse/4.6/Cluster_Suite_Overview/s1-service-management-overview-CSO.html
>
> It sounds like you want high availability.  There is a description of the
> fail over service in the above link.  I am sorry I have no experience in
> this.  I was recently looking into clusters for massively parallel
> computation.
>
> Regards,
> Bruce

I have read all of the RH docs for the cluster suite and GFS. Unfortunately,
they only cover vanilla failover. In my case, I have two services that need
to fail over the whole box, and one that just needs to be re-started. We
have RH support, but the cluster suite is only covered with the "Advanced
Platform" support, and the decision was made that we would get the support
for it if it does what we need (except that we can't get it to do what we
need without the support....).

Oddly, I never got either of the e-mails that I sent to gnhlug-discuss, but
I got the replies to it.

Thanks,
Kenny