General Procedure to get ATI/DRI card running?

Arc Riley arcriley at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 17:27:27 EDT 2008

Everyone I work with who uses the radeonhd drivers uses Gentoo.

I agree with Coleman's assessment - it was said earlier in this thread that
you'd likely need to upgrade your X server, it really is ancient, and likely
Mesa too.

The output shows that the radeonhd driver does support your card and is
detecting it, but something else is going wrong down the chain.  Since newer
Mesa's have expanded OpenGL support (ie, OpenGL 2.0) some apps may not even
work unless you're running a semi-recent version of it.

If Gentoo scares you, the newest OpenSUSE may be your best bet.