General Procedure to get ATI/DRI card running?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jul 9 17:18:37 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 16:58 -0400, Labitt, Bruce wrote:
> Umm, thanks for your frank assessment.
>
> So which is the lesser of evils - using the AMD/ATI proprietary
> drivers
> for 3D, or totally rebuilding my system from the ground up?  I presume
> that I will still have to mess around to get things going.  I've
> fooled
> around with this a few days now, I don't like wasting my time - I have
> plenty to do.
>
> If I were to do this from the ground up, which distro to choose?  Why
> slackware?  Why not Gentoo?  I suppose I can have a daily overnight
> update and recompile everything for the morning.
>
> I had originally wanted a relatively stable system.  It appears I
> can't
> get any work done with a stable system :(
>
> Any other solutions available?  Second opinion?  Anyone?

Given that Novell was contracted by AMD to work on the radeonhd driver,
you might want to go with the latest openSUSE development code.

If you want to go bleeding edge, but stick to something as close to RHEL
as possible, Fedora also tracks upstream reasonably closely, and
Fedora's development branch does have some radeonhd goodness in it too
(currently a 6/30 snap of the radeonhd driver).

I'd be surprised if the Ubuntu development branch for 8.10 doesn't have
radeonhd support too.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com