mythtv and digital tv

Frank DiPrete fdiprete at comcast.net
Wed Jul 23 18:25:51 EDT 2008

It looks like it's time to switch tv service. I am using basic analog
cable and Comcrap has been eliminating channels from the lineup to use
the bandwidth for their digital tv service.

Of course they kept all of the &^$*-ing shopping channels in tact.

To sum it up, comcrap customers are forced to pay to solve their
technical problem.

I can't get fios where I live so I can:

a) keep paying the same top dollar for diminishing analog cable service
b) pay more for comcrap digital cable tv and 3 set top boxes
c) switch to sat tv (dish) and pay for 3 set top boxes

Here's the rub. I'm using a pvr-250 in my mythtv setup and that becomes
a brick when in any of the 3 scenarios.

Anybody out there using a digital tuner card (pci) with mythtv or
perhaps a fourth friggin box ?

I suppose I could chuck mythtv and use the motorola model P.O.S dvr with
comcast.

My thoughts:
a) losing mythtv would kind of suck
b) the moto dvr definately sucks. I've seen it in "action".
c) upgrading with comcrap feels like extortion - because it is.

I have phone, internet and tv with comcrap. I wouldn't mind giving all 3
the boot if I switch.

Technical thoughts, service vendor reviews, and general comcast bashing
welcome.