Bookmark sync and other Firefox extensions (was: Firefox Download Day)

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Tue Jun 17 10:25:27 EDT 2008

On 06/17/2008 10:05 AM, Ben Scott wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Thomas Charron <twaffle at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Fortunatly, Mozilla Weave
>> (http://labs.mozilla.com/2008/06/weave-status-update/) is being
>> updated to include all of the features and more.  :-)
>>

>   The peanut gallery at Slashdot seemed to be saying that Foxmarks
> (http://www.foxmarks.com/) was better than GBS anyway.  According to
> the groupmind, it's from an EFF founder, you can use your own server
> or theirs, it's-not-Google-so-it's-better, etc.  I've never tried it,
> so YMMV.

Mozilla used to have the ability to store bookmarks and cookies on an
LDAP or WebDAV server (with the WebDAV server being pretty easy to set
up).  This was a few jobs ago, so that would make it 1998/1999?  For
some reason it got dropped in the Firefox changeover and I pretty much
lost interest in it.  I had Google sync installed for a while, but to be
honest, I don't use (traditional) bookmarks anymore.

I used bookmarks to remember pages that I wanted to go to or subjects
that I wanted to remember later.  Live bookmarks in the let me keep
track of sites I go to once a day or less (woot or xkcd) via RSS feeds.
Sites I go to regularly (slashdot, etc.) are already in my history, so I
just use its dropdown and go to the site.  For subjects I want to
remember, I just punch a phrase into google and let it fly.  Given how
often sites go down, lose information, or change URL formats, it's
easier for me just to find the page again in google than run into a
bunch of 404s.

-Mark
Off my lawn!