cron question / process queue

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Fri Mar 7 09:57:31 EST 2008

On Friday, Mar 7th 2008 at 07:49 -0000, quoth Kent Johnson:

=>Steven W. Orr wrote:
=>> This is a classic question: How to run something on a periodic basis that
=>> may take longer to execute than the interval between the next occurance.
=>> Think of it not as a task that needs to be run at an interval so much as a
=>> task that needs to be rescheduled after it finally completes.
=>>
=>> If that description is appropriate for what you're doing then you might want
=>> to consider not using cron in the first place. Look at using at(1) instead.
=>> Your script that gets run at a certain time would then requeue itself based
=>> on when it finished.
=>
=>Thanks for the pointer. That is not quite my situation - I need to queue a
=>different job when the first one finishes, and the job to queue (if any)
=>depends on the date.
=>
=>I ended up making a program that combines all three jobs and runs the correct
=>ones in sequence based on the date.
=>
=>Kent
=>

Still sounds like a job for "at",  no?

--
steveo at syslang dot net TMMP1 http://frambors.syslang.net/
Do you have neighbors who are not frambors? Steven W. Orr