Good FOSS Win32 apps (was: Writing FOSS for Win32...)

David J Berube djberube at berubeconsulting.com
Thu Mar 20 09:22:09 EDT 2008

 > Audacity often gets recommended to podcasters and they never need to get
 > another app.  Imagine if The Gimp came out & got estabilished before
 > Photoshop?

Keep in mind, though even older versions of Photoshop have features that
Gimp does not. Gimp, however, is an *excellent* replacement for Paint
Shop Pro and similar software for, say, light web design or photo
retouching. (It does have some features that Photoshop does not, of
course  - easy scripting in Python/Ruby/etc, IIRC.)

Audacity is in a similar situation: it's great for simple things, like
podcasting, but it's not Pro Tools. (Ardour is getting there, but it's
not Pro Tools yet either.)

Take it easy

David Berube
Berube Consulting