server uptime

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Fri Mar 21 20:08:44 EDT 2008

On Mar 21, 2008, at 09:46, Ben Scott wrote:

>   From the "If Microsoft Made Cars" list: "Occasionally your car's
> engine would just stop for no reason, and you'd have to restart it.
> For some strange reason, you'd just accept this."

In the building I'm in the heat was over 100 degrees on this past
Monday morning.  It seems sometime on Saturday, "something happened"
and the heat got stuck on full blast.  Apparently, the things that
'are controlled' just stay in the state of the last command sent by
the thing that 'is controlling'.  In this case the last command was
'heat, 100%'.

To make a long story short, after chatting up the tech, it seems the
control systems run WinCE and they have a habit of corrupting their
filesystems.  The tech knows how to reflash the image and restore the
config to get it working again.  It's also connected naked to the
Internet for remote monitoring.

For some strange reason, you'd just accept this.

"Jane, get me off this crazy thing!"-ly,
-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/