server uptime

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Fri Mar 21 20:26:15 EDT 2008

Bill McGonigle wrote:
> It's also connected naked to the Internet for remote monitoring.
>
> For some strange reason, you'd just accept this.

Venturing even further off-topic, I have two different labs that wrote
code without really consulting anyone else.  One thought it would save a
lot of time if their fat client application connected directly to Oracle
from anywhere on the Internet.  The other thought it would be a good
idea to do the same with MySQL.  The Oracle group we didn't have much
luck with and they're stuck using SSH port forwarding.  The MySQL group
seems to be a bit more receptive and they may change their application
to go through a web service instead.

I keep hoping that bioinformatics courses include even a week or two on
'sane coding practices', but I doubt it will happen...

-Mark