Linux and Smart phones?

Star nhstar at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 10:46:03 EDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 6:41 PM, Brian Chabot <brian at datasquire.net> wrote:
> It's getting about time for me to replace my cell phone... next month
>  actually is when I plan to do it.
>
>  So my question to the community is...
>
>  Is there a (smart)phone out there that can sync ***EASILY*** with Linux
>  (as in user side software NOT beta, RPM/DEB/etc. available, maintained)
>  that can also handle basic web browsing, and more importantly IMAP
>  (preferably encrypted over ssl or other standard)?

I'm in love with My Treo (mine is the 700p model).  It appears to hit
all of your requirements, though I don't use IMAP SSL 'cause verizon
lets me sync through them.  All of the PIM offerings work great with
gpilotd and evolution.  And my short trips into KDE land (for other
reasons) had me syncing to the KDE PIM apps in just-about
plug-and-play fasion.

~If~ i've heard correctly (and I don't know that I have), the 750 is
windows mobile (no experience with sync) and 755 is Palm OS.  The Palm
Centro is also palm based and add a little funk to the look and feel
of the palm brand of smartphones.

But I think my favorite feature of the phone is (for an extra cost)
the tethering feature (either bluetooth or via usb) that works with
one bit of extra palm software.  Yes, in Linux :)

Of course, I've had it for only 5 months, so about the time I'm
looking to upgrade, OpenMoko will be making its debut, and Verizon
will keep to it's open connectivity promises.  Hey, a boy can dream...

--
~ *