Linux and Smart phones?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Fri Mar 21 19:59:24 EDT 2008

On Mar 21, 2008, at 18:41, Brian Chabot wrote:

> Is there a (smart)phone out there that can sync ***EASILY*** with
> Linux
> (as in user side software NOT beta, RPM/DEB/etc. available,
> maintained)
> that can also handle basic web browsing, and more importantly IMAP
> (preferably encrypted over ssl or other standard)?

You might want to look into what's supported by OpenSync:

   http://www.opensync.org/wiki/FAQ

The rationale is that PIM apps shouldn't have to support phones (or
other data sources), that's something else's job.

I'm in the process (that is, simmering on the back burner) of getting
it to work with my n810.  I couldn't find a smartphone that did what
I needed, so I get a tiny dumb phone with Bluetooth DUN and the n810.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/