IMAP Server

Matt Snell mattds at gmail.com
Sat May 3 12:59:13 EDT 2008

Just wanted to thank all for your suggestions on an IMAP server
yesterday.  I selected Dovecot, it does everything I need now and if I
ever need to do more, switching to Courier won't take much effort.

Summary of the experience:

The basic setup was pretty easy on my Etch box, kill the cron job that
runs fetchmail and "apt-get install dovecot-imapd".  Edit
/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf, add a valid protocol and restart the daemon.
  I then renamed my mail directories to adhere to the requirements of
the server (leading . in the filename).  Following that I took some time
to re-org my mail dirs and then I updated my procmail recipes.  That's
all folks, restart my fetchmail job and xtail the log to see if there's
a problem.

Now I can use mutt or Thunderbird to access my mail from any machine on
the LAN or off of it via an SSH tunnel.  The Mrs. won't have any problem
checking the ebills folder for statements now (which was a *HUGE*
motivating factor).

I *need* to mention the flexibility that both mutt and Thunderbird
offered me.  I've been using mutt for a while and it's *extremely*
tweaked out, things like being able to change address and GPG key based
upon which folder I'm in is important to me.  Thanks to the efforts of
the folks over @ Mozilla and some clever plugin writers I have *all* of
the functionality I want in both clients (with some config of course).
Truly Awesome.

Open source fanboy here.

Matt