Spam-Filter-Free Options (Was: Computer repair shop)

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue May 6 14:49:18 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 2:35 PM,  <VirginSnow at vfemail.net> wrote:
> THEY DON'T WORK.

  "Works" is a continum, not a binary state.  It isn't on/off, yes/no.
 You would be correct to assert that spam filters aren't perfect.
Little is.

>  The most accurate way of filtering spam is with that little key on the
>  keyboard labeled "Delete".

  In practice, that method is very inaccurate.  A lot of accounts I'm
responsible for gets hundreds upon hundreds of spam messages per day.
Deleting them manually introduces so much human error into the process
that much more legitimate mail is lost.  For you to suggest that such
a solution is the best solution is... naive, at best.

  From past experience, I suspect you have an ax to grind here: I know
you like to (or used to like to) send mail from your
dynamic-IP-address, DNS-mismatched, consumer-class Internet address.
Since the vast majority of mail traffic from such hosts is spam, and
since such a poorly-connected host really has no business claiming to
be an MX in the first place, a lot of systems just reject all mail
from such without further inspection.  Is that your real beef?

-- Ben