computer repair

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue May 6 14:57:53 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Karl Hergenrother <33karl at verizon.net> wrote:
> I thought of removing the cover, but it is not obvious how.

  If you are looking to solicit the opinions of others here on this
list, it would help if you told us the precise model of Toshiba
Satellite you have.  :-)

> It appears from the pictures that the power socket is mounted directly
> to the motherboard.  It might be a difficult repair.

  Yes, pretty much everything is surface-mount soldering these days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-mount_technology

  I suspect that's why some of the DIY repairs I've seen have used
wire leads.  I'm guessing it is easier to hand-solder a lead to a PCB
then a surface-mount connector.  So they solder the leads to the mobo,
and then solder a new connector to the leads.

-- Ben