Palm vs other smart phones/PDAs

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Fri May 9 21:20:00 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 9:00 PM, Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Tom Buskey <tom at buskey.name> wrote:
> >> They're still essentially shipping
> >> the same code they were in 2004, with only very minor updates.  Their
> >> "Palm Desktop" software still isn't "enterprise friendly", and also
> >
> > I haven't used it in years.  I sync to Outlook, jpilot, Yahoo.
>
>   The HotSync software that I assume you're using to sync with Outlook
> is part of Palm Desktop.  It isn't multi-user aware; it has to be

I'm using Intellisync.  I've also used Pocket Mirror.  They're not part of
the Palm software.

> installed as the user who will run it.  So the only way to install it

I've run 2 seperate Palms on XP Home with different users.

is to temporarily give the user admin rights on their PC, install it,
> and then revoke those rights.  It resists scripting.  And it needs to
> be able to write to a few system locations that should be read-only
> for users.  These problems have been apparent since at least 2002, and
> they've been claiming they'll be fixed Real Soon Now ever since.  They
> just got it working with Vista recently, and only for the latest
> handhelds.

Ah, we both have admin rights.  I'm thinking it now stores data in Document
and Settings instead of the Programs, but I'm not sure.

> >> As near as I can tell, Palm is dead, they just
> >> seem to be really slow to realize it.
> >
> > I think they'll come down to the Wizards.
>
>   I don't understand.

Sharp had a PDA called Wizard.  Sold next to pocket calculators for about
the same $$.  I think one would even sync with Outlook via serial port.

> >> But try and find a decent web browser or SSH client.
> >> (There's stuff out there, but it's old, slow, crashes a lot
> >> (and on Palm, crash == reboot), and (for the browsers) has trouble
> >> with modern sites.)
> >
> > Well, try finding WiFi in a Palm.
>
>   My Clie has a Memory Stick slot which can accept a wifi adapter,
> which I have.  I gave up on it, because the app software all sucks so
> much.

I'm always wary of the Memory Stick.  I had one for doing backups in the
Clie & the app worked well. I missed that when I switched to SD based
m130/M50x series.