Palm vs other smart phones/PDAs

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon May 12 18:19:48 EDT 2008

On May 9, 2008, at 19:33, Tom Buskey wrote:

> Well, try finding WiFi in a Palm.  Or any smartphone.  iPhone has
> one that's
> a nice boost in speed.  I'm not sure how useful SSH or other net
> apps on
> the Palm are w/o a wireless network

This is why I ditched the smartphone idea and went to tablet+phone.
I wish the device I want existed now, but it's not ready yet.

I just today got the Garnet (PalmOS 5) VM on the Nokia syncing with
my desktop:

   http://blog.bfccomputing.com/articles/2008/05/12/missing-sync-and-
the-garnet-vm-on-nokia-n810

which means I can retire the Treo, so I bought a Motorola e815 off
eBay today to connect it while in the wilds.

So, I'll have OpenSSH instead of pssh, EVDO instead of 1xRTT, Mozilla/
Flash instead of Blazer, apt-get instead of HotSync, a fatter-finger
keyboard, and, um, multitasking. :)  The downside is one extra pocket
full of tech.

The iPhone gets so many things right but Apple is hostile towards
Open Source apps on the iPhone with their SDK license, and a debian-
ish ecosystem can't thrive under it.  Nokia, on the other hand, is
the new owner of Qt and KDE and is porting Ubuntu to its hardware.
Hopefully they'll have a great smartphone with all of the above and
an HD camcorder in a year or two.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/