Alternatives to Comcast

Star nhstar at gmail.com
Tue May 20 23:22:48 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Dan Miller <rambi.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> Various things Comcast is doing is driving me away. They used to be
> decent, but now they are horrible.
>
> Whats driving me away:
>
> Internet: Blocking port 25. Yes, I could illegally hack my modem, but
> its not worth it. There goes all my logwatches and cron job outputs.
>
> Cable: Their compression stinks. Has anyone watched NESN lately? Even on
> just digital cable, when the seen changes, the picture is horrible. For
> the best example check out:
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008271
>
> I am strongly looking at DirectTV for tv, but don't know a good
> alternative for internet. So my question is two-fold.
>
> What ISP is a good alternative to Comcast?
> What cable/satellite provider is better than Comcast?
>
> Thanks
> Dan

I also live in Southern Nashua, and did have Verizon FiOS until about
a month ago...  kept having problems trying to pay my bill, and
finally got fed up with having to be transfered a bunch of times
'cause the phone company didn't know that they offered FiOS service in
NH...  (the worst transfer count was 48, but it averaged around 20).
I recently went back to Comcast.  I did not, however, go for the
standard domestic setup.  I require open access to port 80 and 25,
etc, etc, so I decided that it was worth it to me to spend the extra
money and purchased the Home Office package.  Yes, it's $80 vs the
standard $50, however, there is no port blocking, ever...  I get to
use their business support people (at least during the day they tell
me, at night it's the regular all-in-one group), and there's no
traffic shaping or p2p blocking...  I've noticed no degradation in my
use of torrents.

I also got static IPs, paid extra, but got 5.  My connection is also
at 16/2 and has been solid since they turned it on.  I don't remember
what the price difference was for the 8/1 connection.

For all of the EvilEmpirism surrounding the port-blocking issue of
late, just remember the cliche:  "you get what you pay for."

And, when I move (which i often seem to) I get to take it with me, as
long as comcast is there.  DSL just couldn't do that for me, neither
could FiOS.

</rant> happy debating :-D

--
~ *