Alternatives to Comcast

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue May 20 23:53:56 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 23:22 -0400, Star wrote:
> I also live in Southern Nashua, and did have Verizon FiOS until about
> a month ago...  kept having problems trying to pay my bill, and
> finally got fed up with having to be transfered a bunch of times
> 'cause the phone company didn't know that they offered FiOS service in
> NH...  (the worst transfer count was 48, but it averaged around 20).
> I recently went back to Comcast.

Odd. I've had zero issues in the 1.5 years I've had FiOS, outside of the
fact they aren't bright enough to be able to put residential TV on the
same fiber as business data, so I have two fibers to the house and two
optical network terminal. But oh well. The actual service itself (both
internet and tv) has been flawless, never been down, always able to
saturate the connection pretty much at will (provided the other end can
keep up), and not a single hitch or peep out of them despite pushing out
about 45GB of data in the form of a Fedora 9 torrent since it was
released last week:

sharing:  oo  (45343.3 MB up / 0.0 MB down)

> And, when I move (which i often seem to) I get to take it with me, as
> long as comcast is there.  DSL just couldn't do that for me, neither
> could FiOS.

Humorously, neither could Comcast when I moved here from Seattle, a
little over two years ago. I tried transplanting my Seattle Comcast
service to Tyngsboro Comcast service, no dice. Had to create an all new
account. Maybe they've actually figured out how to do it correctly since
then though.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com