Update (K)Ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 16:07:15 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Greg Rundlett <greg.rundlett at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been through the upgrade process and I'm still getting used to KDE 4.

  Yea, I tried 4.0 when it came out, and reverted back to 3.x as I
didn't feel it was up to par quite yet.  I was hoping 4.1 did some
catching up.

> I'm frustrated by not being able to have a customized panel with
> direct launchers for all my favorite applications.  For that matter,
> although I generally keep a clean desktop, I don't like the fact that
> KDE4 won't let me put _any_ icons/shortcuts on my desktop except for
> the plasma widgets.

  What does it do with the shotcuts already there after an upgrade?

> I can't do compiz or anything else "advanced" in the eye candy
> department (not even transparent konsole) because both my systems use
> nvidia or ati cards that are not supported yet (although they were
> supported under kde 3.x)

  QQ

  Supported cards?  Doesn't it just care if they have OpenGL?  What changed?

> If I get a chance, I'll add to this list of issues.

 That'd be appreciated.  I've got about 2 hours till I see some of them..

--
-- Thomas