portable music players

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Fri Oct 3 09:58:07 EDT 2008

Jesse Lazar wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Is ipod the way to go for portable music player within Linux. My
> understanding is that it can be done easily, however I am curious as to
> what others use...

Speaking from a Mandriva perspective... (YMMV in other distros)

Syncing an iPod in Mandriva 2008.1 is not plug-and-play, but isn't too
difficult.  RTFM and follow the directions and you'll be fine.

Moving files back and forth IS trivial and Plug-and-Play if you use
Amarok as your Linux side music player.

For true simplicity, I like RCA's line of inexpensive mp3 players.  They
connect as simple USB drives and require no drivers in any OS.  Sync is
by your preferred method of file moving/copying/etc.  I got one from
Walmart a few years ago with an SD card slot and more recently for a
(now amicably ex-)girlfriend.  Both require no drivers.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Brian