portable music players

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Fri Oct 3 10:36:13 EDT 2008

You could get an iPod and install RockBox on it.

http://www.rockbox.org/

I played with it a few years ago and was actually impressed. I thought
it was going to be a bit "hackish" but it wasn't.

I did go back to the normal Apple firmware because I use iTunes and
have purchased music that I can't play otherwise. Well, my wife bought
music that I like.

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Jesse Lazar <jesse205 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Is ipod the way to go for portable music player within Linux. My
> understanding is that it can be done easily, however I am curious as to what
> others use...
>
> Yes, I am shopping for a portable player and have never owned one!
>
> Also, I am strictly interested in playing music, not so much videos or
> whatever else it is they do...
>
> I run Ubuntu and the default player is rhythmbox. By default this creates
> ogg files when I import a cd into my collection. I am sure that I could
> either install another player (or maybe configure this to create mpg files).
> I would try to stick with the ogg as my understanding is that it is FOSS.
>
> I am aware that other companies manufacture these players and my
> understanding is that some can play ogg files...
>
> What are others using?
>
> Are you happy with it, what are the shortcomings?
>

> Thanks

Travis Roy