Webmin was Re: Ubuntu network configuration

bruce.labitt at autoliv.com bruce.labitt at autoliv.com
Mon Oct 13 11:13:16 EDT 2008

OK, webmin is installed.  Looks pretty elaborate.  Still, I think I have
some
dumb networking questions...

What is a gateway?  If I have two ethernet interfaces, EXTIF and INTIF
what should
I use for either interface?  For EXTIF it should be the dhcp-served
gateway, for INTIF what do I use?

For the edit bootup interface on eth1, I have setup a static ip.  What
should I use for the broadcast box?

I am in the active routes page, what goes here?

If I ping an address that should be on INTIF, ie it is on 192.168.3.xxx,
how does
my machine know to route to the INTIF?

Next, do I need to "do" anything to get tftp setup?  Where do I edit the
initialization file?  Is this to
be done in webmin - or external to webmin?

Thanks
-Bruce
"Keeping the list alive..."