easy_install

Raymond Cote rgacote at AppropriateSolutions.com
Tue Sep 9 16:36:15 EDT 2008

Labitt, Bruce wrote:
> I'm trying to install PyOpenGL.  (I'd like to use mat3d.py)  Using
> easy_install is proving to be problematic.  I tried
>
> $ sudo easy_install PyOpenGL
>
> and got an error: Download error: (110, 'Connection timed out')
>
> Is this a firewall/proxy sort of error?
>
> I already downloaded the file PyOpenGL-3.0.0b5.tar.gz and untarred it.
> Can I run easy_install to just use this file instead?
>
> -Bruce

Hi Bruce:
According to the easy_install web site:
<http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#downloading-and-installing-a-package>

Example 4. Install an already-downloaded .egg file:
   easy_install /my_downloads/OtherPackage-3.2.1-py2.3.egg

Although I've not done it myself, I'd expect the .gz file could also be used
Example 4. Install an already-downloaded .egg file:
   easy_install /my_downloads/OtherPackage-3.2.1-py2.3.tar.gz

I'd recommend posting Python related questions to the GNHLUG PySIG mail
list.