easy_install

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at verizon.net
Tue Sep 9 19:36:43 EDT 2008

Raymond Cote wrote:
> Labitt, Bruce wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to install PyOpenGL.  (I'd like to use mat3d.py)  Using
>> easy_install is proving to be problematic.  I tried
>>
>> $ sudo easy_install PyOpenGL
>>
>> and got an error: Download error: (110, 'Connection timed out')
>>
>> Is this a firewall/proxy sort of error?
>>
>> I already downloaded the file PyOpenGL-3.0.0b5.tar.gz and untarred it.
>> Can I run easy_install to just use this file instead?
>>
>> -Bruce
>>

> Hi Bruce:
> According to the easy_install web site:
> <http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#downloading-and-installing-a-package>
>
> Example 4. Install an already-downloaded .egg file:
>    easy_install /my_downloads/OtherPackage-3.2.1-py2.3.egg
>

> Although I've not done it myself, I'd expect the .gz file could also be used
> Example 4. Install an already-downloaded .egg file:
>    easy_install /my_downloads/OtherPackage-3.2.1-py2.3.tar.gz
>
> I'd recommend posting Python related questions to the GNHLUG PySIG mail
> list.
>
> --Ray

For completeness - at least for this thread, one can install a .tar.gz
file using easy_install.

I guess I'll ask the rest of my python questions on PySIG.  I have just
been able to run the 3D examples on the SciPy site.  I'm psyched.  I
need to generate high quality 3d plots from my blade server data.  I was
hacking about with vtk, but I have been having some problems getting all
the tests to run.  At least with mat3d.py I'll be able to generate a
plot or two without having to master vtk.  That looks like a really long
term project.  Some of the test images are unbelievable.

-Bruce