nslookup alpine-usa.com

Neil Joseph Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Wed Sep 10 09:16:09 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 10 September 2008 07:39, Frank DiPrete wrote:
> I am not getting a response while trying to lookup alpine-usa.com

As others have pointed out, there is no alpine-usa.com.  There is
www.alpine-usa.com (and maybe other subdomains), but alpine-usa.com is not
defined.

All three authorative DNS servers (ns1.biz.rr.com, ns2.biz.rr.com,
dns4.rr.com) agree on this when queried directly with dig.

These all fail:
dig @ns1.biz.rr.com alpine-usa.com
dig @ns2.biz.rr.com alpine-usa.com
dig @dns4.rr.com alpine-usa.com

These all work as expected:
dig @ns1.biz.rr.com www.alpine-usa.com
dig @ns2.biz.rr.com www.alpine-usa.com
dig @dns4.rr.com www.alpine-usa.com

Don't forget - while it's a common convention to have an A record for a domain
that matches the www subdomain, it's by no means a rule.  And there are
several scenarios where it may not be appropriate, though I'm guessing it's
more an oversight in this case.
-N