Linux distro release cycles, upgrades, etc.

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Thu Sep 18 15:17:02 EDT 2008

I thought I would start a new more generic thread.
In the current landscape, both Fedora and OpenSuSE are "cutting edge"
releases as well as testing for the respective enterprise editions. This
is, IMHO, a good thing as many users prefer to get some of the latest
bells and whistles as well as some stuff that does not go into the
enterprise builds. This is one reason why I just replaced by CentOS
desktop system with Fedora 9. Different markets, different expectations.
Ubuntu has a different philosophy. I don't have any experience upgrading
Fedora, but I do with SuSE, RHEL, Ubuntu, Tru64 Unix, Ultrix.

My experiences with RHEL (on IA64) were disastrous although in both
cases experienced system admin people were involved. On my laptop, I've
upgraded each o the past 3 or 4 releases of Ubuntu with no problems, and
on my home computer some of my upgrades were upgrade installs of various
releases of SuSE. I personally prefer and recommend clean installs of an
OS whether your OS is a Redmond product, Linux, BSD Unix, or Solaris.
The main issue with clean installs is to make sure your home directories
are backed up and/or maintained as a separate file system, and that you
can rebuild the configuration files. But in recent years, system
configuration on Linux has become easier.

One "distro" whose approach I like is Gentoo because it is essentially a
continuous upgrade. I initially installed it on my laptop, but my office
wanted me to use Ubuntu. Quite a while ago I switched rom Debian to SuSE
because the release cycles were too slow.

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846