LVM

Lloyd Kvam lkvam at venix.com
Mon Sep 22 21:10:18 EDT 2008

I've survived fiddling LVM stuff, so I think it is fairly fool-proof.

pvdisplay will show the physical volumes
lvdisplay will show the logical volumes
vgdisplay will show the volume groups

On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 20:16 -0400, Bruce Labitt wrote:
> A while back I added a 1TB drive to my mythtv box.  My 500GB drive was
> about full so I thought I'd lvm the 1TB drive onto the existing.  I did
> not do it correctly apparently.  My system is only reporting the
> original 500GB.  If, however, I open up the lvm gui I see a Volume Group
> 00 that consists of sda and sdb?

I found the lvm gui display more confusing than the text responses to
the display commands.

> with a total of 1.5TB?  It does not
> look like anything is on the new drive.  How can I fix this.  My video
> is on /mnt/store,

df will show the mount points and space available.  That will tell you
which logical volume is mounted.

Now you should be able to find the correct lv in the gui.  select it,
Use edit properties to give it more extents and you are in business.

I do not remember if the filesystem is automatically adjusted, or if
you'll need to resize the file system separately.  As I recall the
filesytem can grow while mounted.

	resize2fs /dev/mapper/<lv name>

good luck.