LVM

Alan Johnson alan at datdec.com
Tue Sep 23 11:34:16 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 9:19 PM, Bruce Labitt <bruce.labitt at verizon.net>wrote:

> Alan Johnson wrote:
>
>> Just to clarify, are you looking to migrate to the new drive or to extend
>> using both as one?
>>
>> I'd like to extend it.

I mentioned http://www.webmin.com in an unrelated post recently, so sorry if
I sound like a broken record, but it also has a very nice interface for
managing all your logical volume needs.  That said, it sounds like you
aready resized  the LVM and just need to resize the file system.  When I do
this for xen LVM partitions, I do this:

- webmin to create/resize LVM as needed
- fdisk to delete the partition and recreate it full size (scarry, but it
works)
- kpartx -av <dev> to access the part
- resize2fs -f -p <dev> to make the fs fill the part
- mount and df to see the new size in place
- unmount
- kpartx -dv <dev> to remove the part mappings

So, I doubt you will need the kpartx stuff if you are not putting their own
partition table on them to be used by a virtual OS, but most of the rest of
it should get you there.  On that note, you might not need to do the scarry
fdisk step either.  Probably some of the other advise you have already
gotten is more accurate to this situation, but I wanted to throw this kpartx
and fdisk stuff out in case you needed any of it.

Also, I think gparted will let you do everything you need to, but I have not
tried to use it to resize LV stuff.  If you boot off an Ubuntu 8 CD, for
example, you can run gparted under the System > Administration > Partition
Editor.  I use that to do maintenance on servers that I can take off line
(fsck etc) but like I said, I have not tried to manipulate LV stuff with it
yet.  I suggest this because it tried to expand the FS to fill the part. as
part of "check" option, so it might just be magic for you.

Alan Johnson
alan at datdec.com