Big name web sites and the platforms they run on (was: Skype and Asterisk)

Kevin D. Clark kevin_d_clark at comcast.net
Mon Sep 29 14:00:32 EDT 2008

Ben Scott writes:

[regarding Ebay]

> Back then, their backend database was Oracle running on a Sun
> Enterprise 10000.  It was the Sun/Oracle system which kept failing
> and bringing the whole site down.

To be fair, it is a well known fact that the main reason why the site
was going down was because of insufficient air conditioning.
Actually, by "insufficient" I've heard from various sources that
"insufficient" meant "basically non-existent".

Regards,

--kevin
--
GnuPG ID: B280F24E                Meet me by the knuckles
alumni.unh.edu!kdc                of the skinny-bone tree.