Out of memory while booting?

Charles G Montgomery cgm at physics.utoledo.edu
Thu Apr 2 12:43:24 EDT 2009

I appreciate the suggestions that various people have provided.

Memory tests have been run without finding problems, but not for a
full 24 hours.  More exhaustive tests may be worth trying.

Both the kernels on the hard drive had booted successfully in the
past.  Since I posted, an attempt to boot from a Knoppix CD was
also unsuccessful, but with no helpful error messages -- it just
never managed to boot.  Failure of tow different kernels and two
different live CDs makes me think it must somehow be a hardware
problem, but I don't know where.

Later today I will get a chance to try booting single user or with
init=/bin/sh.  That may be useful if it works.  I think the first
reports of problems came during the loading of modules, probably
by /etc/init.d/kerneld.  Of course the trouble could have started
earlier.

If I learn anything interesting, I'll let you know.

Thanks again   cgm