[semi-OT] QIC2 streaming cartridge tape lossage

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue Dec 1 01:30:47 EST 2009

On 11/28/2009 04:36 PM, Ben Scott wrote:
>   There aren't really *any* computer formats available to the consumer
> which are rated for long term storage.

Given that...

Newegg had some 2TB external drives for $150 last week.  With some
proper application of paranoia, RAID, and geographic dispersion, at
least people who really care to preserve their data can do so affordably
($500 ought to handle most individuals' requirements).

I tend to keep my data online and regularly cycle through drives and
scrub them for errors.  Admining a server RAID is a pretty tall order
for Grandma, though.  I wonder if any of the cheap RAID-1 NAS boxes
handle hotswap.

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle