[semi-OT] QIC2 streaming cartridge tape lossage

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Tue Dec 1 06:40:34 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:30 AM, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com>wrote:

> On 11/28/2009 04:36 PM, Ben Scott wrote:
> >   There aren't really *any* computer formats available to the consumer
> > which are rated for long term storage.
>
> Given that...
>
> Newegg had some 2TB external drives for $150 last week.  With some
> proper application of paranoia, RAID, and geographic dispersion, at
> least people who really care to preserve their data can do so affordably
> ($500 ought to handle most individuals' requirements).
>

> I tend to keep my data online and regularly cycle through drives and
> scrub them for errors.  Admining a server RAID is a pretty tall order
> for Grandma, though.  I wonder if any of the cheap RAID-1 NAS boxes
> handle hotswap.

The Netgear ReadyNAS does do hotswap & automatic expansion.

As a home user, I don't have to access files while I'm swapping hardware.
Everyone in the house can wait while I fix it.

If home owners worked like business, I'd have a spare washing machine hooked
up & plugged in just in case I had to fix a part in the main one.  I'd have
a 2nd fridge running next to the main one, ready to "hot" swap the food.