[semi-OT] QIC2 streaming cartridge tape lossage

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 11:43:39 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
> What makes it tough for Grandma is everything above except switching the
> disks.

  And the power costs, which was what I was getting to.  I know it
prolly seems strange to most people here, but a lot of computers spend
most of their time turned off or in a suspend state.  :)

> Drobo seems close, but at $600 without disks it's beyond many people's
> pain tolerance.

  On the power front, some random Ziff-Davis article says it draws 40
watts, which isn't bad.  That's roughly $40/year.  Of course, if
energy costs start skyrocketing again...

> If the idea of 'archives' can be dealt away with and all
> data kept on primary storage and backed up to the cloud, then that fixes
> most of the problems.

  Yah.  And the world does seem to be heading in the direction of
keeping everything online all the time.

-- Ben